The following publications are based on research done at Stanford (alone or multi-center), from members and partners of the Physician Wellness Committee and the WellMD Center. We encourage and will help provide guidance to Stanford-affiliated physicians and trainees in their wellness research interests. Please contact us.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Development of a research agenda to identify evidence-based strategies to improve physician wellness and reduce burnout.
Dyrbye LN, Trockel M, Frank E, Olson K, Linzer M, Lemaire J, Swensen S, Shanafelt T, Sinsky CA. Ann Intern Med. 2017 Apr 18. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28418518
- Pathology in the medical profession?: taking the pulse of physician wellness and burnout.
Schrijver I. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2016 Sep;140(9):976-82. PMID: 26828114
- The associations between work-life balance behaviours, teamwork climate and safety climate: cross-sectional survey introducing the work-life climate scale, psychometric properties, benchmarking data and future directions.
Sexton JB, Schwartz SP, Chadwick WA, Rehder KJ, Bae J, Bokovoy J, Doram K, Sotile W, Adair KC, Profit J. BMJ Qual Saf. 2016 Dec 22. pii: bmjqs-2016-006032. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 28008006
- Burnout in the NICU setting and its relation to safety culture.
Profit J, Sharek PJ, Amspoker AB, Kowalkowski MA, Nisbet CC, Thomas EJ, Chadwick WA, Sexton JB. BMJ Qual Saf. 2014 Oct;23(10):814-22. PMID: 24742780
- Burnout in the neonatal intensive care unit and its relation to healthcare-associated infections.
Tawfik DS, Sexton JB, Kan P, Sharek PJ, Nisbet CC, Rigdon J, Lee HC, Profit J. J Perinatol. 2017 Mar;37:315-20. PMID: 27853320
- Factors associated with provider burnout in the NICU.
Tawfik DS, Phibbs CS, Sexton JB, Kan P, Sharek PJ, Nisbet CC, Rigdon J, Trockel M, Profit J. Pediatrics.2017 May;139(5). PMID: 28557756
- How physicians draw satisfaction and overcome barriers in their practices: "It sustains me". Branch WT Jr, Weil AB, Gilligan MC, Litzelman DK, Hafler JP, Plews-Ogan M, Rider EA, Osterberg LG, Dunne D, Derse AR, Pittman JR, Frankel RM. Patient Educ Couns. 2017 Jun 8. pii: S0738-3991(17)30348-8. PMID: 28623052
- Can arts and communication programs improve physician wellness and mitigate physician suicide?
Genovese JM, Berek JS. J Clin Oncol. 2016 May 20;34(15):1820-2. PMID: 26926683 (pdf)
- An exploration of key issues and potential solutions that impact physician wellbeing and professional fulfillment at an academic center.
Schrijver I, Brady KJ, Trockel M. PeerJ. 2016 Mar 10;4:e1783. PMID: 26989621
- A Multifaceted Mentoring Program for Junior Faculty in Academic Pediatrics.
Chen MM, Sandborg CI, Hudgins L, Sanford R, Bachrach LK. Teach Learn Med. 2016 Jul-Sep;28(3):320-8. PMID: 27054562
- Women in academic medicine: measuring stereotype threat among junior faculty.
Fassiotto M, Hamel EO, Ku M, Correll S, Grewal D, Lavori P, Periyakoil VJ, Reiss A, Sandborg C, Walton G, Winkleby M, Valantine H. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2016 Mar;25(3):292-8. PMID: 26555562
- Reducing implicit gender leadership bias in academic medicine with an educational intervention.
Girod S, Fassiotto M, Grewal D, Ku MC, Sriram N, Nosek BA, Valantine H. Acad Med. 2016 Aug;91(8):1143-50. PMID: 26826068
- Emotional intelligence as a predictor of resident well-being.
Lin DT, Liebert CA, Tran J, Lau JN, Salles A. J Am Coll Surg. 2016 Aug;223(2):352-8. PMID: 27182037
- Burnout in pediatric residents over a 2-year period: a longitudinal study.
Pantaleoni JL, Augustine EM, Sourkes BM, Bachrach LK. Acad Pediatr. 2014 Mar-Apr;14(2):167-72. PMID: 24602580
- Well-being in residency: a systematic review. Raj KS. J Grad Med Educ 2016 Dec;8(5):674-684. pdf
- Exploring the relationship between stereotype perception and residents' well-being.
Salles A, Mueller CM, Cohen GL. J Am Coll Surg. 2016 Jan;222(1):52-8. PMID: 26616033
- Promoting balance in the lives of resident physicians: a call to action.
Salles A, Liebert CA, Greco RS. JAMA Surg. 2015 Jul;150(7):607-8. PMID: 25992632
- The relationship between grit and resident well-being.
Salles A, Cohen GL, Mueller CM. Am J Surg. 2014 Feb;207(2):251-4. PMID: 24238604
- The discriminatory patient and family: Strategies to address discrimination towards trainees.
Whitgob EE, Blankenburg RL, Bogetz AL. Acad Med. 2016 Nov;91(11 Association of American Medical Colleges Learn Serve Lead: Proceedings of the 55th Annual Research in Medical Education Sessions):S64-S69. PMID: 27779512
- Zero tolerance: implementation and evaluation of the Stanford medical student mistreatment prevention program.
Smith-Coggins R, Prober CG, Wakefield K, Farias R. Acad Psychiatry. 2016 Apr 19. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27093963
- 2016 International Conference on Physician Health (17 abstracts/posters)
September 18-20, 2016 Boston, MA
- Maintaining wellness critical for trainees and clinicians in medical subspecialties.
Katznelson L, Trockel M. Endocrine Today Nov 2015. (article)
- Invincible caregivers.
Welle, D. MGMA Connection Nov 2015. (article)