Designing and Leading Well-being at the System Level
Chief Wellness Officer Course and Training Program
Now Accepting Applications for 2024
Course Dates: June 9-14, 2024
The Stanford Medicine WellMD & WellPhD Chief Wellness Officer (CWO) Course and Training Program is an executive education program and learning community hosted annually for approximately 50 executive leaders with system-wide responsibilities for advancing clinician well-being. Applicants are carefully selected, based on their role and scope, to spend an immersive week with our core faculty and engage in a broader community of program alumni for one year following the onsite course.
Using the Stanford WellMD Professional Fulfillment Model™ and extensive experience of program faculty, the CWO Course and Training Program includes pre-work, lectures, group activities, and 1:1 sessions designed to help participants cultivate expertise in the principles and applications that contribute to clinician well-being. The program teaches participants how to use influence, relationships, expertise, and data to lead the development of a shared vision for clinician well-being in large, complex organizations. The program equips participants to advance well-being and catalyze progress through data-informed strategic priorities.
- Identify critical domains requiring strategic action to advance clinician well-being within organizations.
- Recognize the intersection of clinician well-being with other foundational disciplines and consider how to harness and collaborate with leaders and initiatives.
- Identify system level approaches to address individual factors that contribute to well-being.
- Identify key principles in developing strategic priorities for your organization’s well-being office.
- Prepare for the mission and demands of the CWO role and cultivate a network and learning community that will support you as you lead work on behalf of your organization.
The program is designed for senior healthcare leaders with organization-wide responsibilities who have their organization’s support and resources to initiate or expand a focus on clinician health and well-being across the system. In addition to physician well-being, program participants also may oversee the professional well-being and fulfillment for populations beyond physicians. The roles of participants typically include the following titles: Chief Wellness Officer, Chief Medical Officer, Chief of Staff, Chief Experience Officer, Chief Quality Officer, Associate Dean/Senior Associate Dean, and other senior leadership roles.
The application for the 2024 CWO Course and Training Program is now open. If you are a senior healthcare leader and you have your organization’s support and resources to lead and catalyze system-wide improvements in physician well-being, we invite you to apply.
A complete application is required to be considered for acceptance into this program. This a high-demand course with limited space, so we encourage you to apply as early as possible. The application must be completed online. Applications will not be accepted by email or other means. In addition to the questions on the application link, please have the following attachments ready before you apply:
- Applicant questionnaire
- Letter of support from an executive leader within your organization (i.e., Dean, CEO, COO, or CMO) stating that the organization is committed to driving physician well-being as a strategic priority and that you are leading those efforts at an organization-wide level. Full letter of support requirements can be found here.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the course is full. After you apply, you can expect to hear from us within 15 business days.
The full program includes:
- Pre-work, program materials, and access to a learning management portal with key publications and other resources.
- Registration, attendance, program materials, activities, and most meals for the week long immersion, which begins with an evening reception on Sunday, June 9 at 5:00 PM and ends at noon on Friday, June, 14.
- Access to 1:1 meetings with program faculty during daily office hours at the onsite course.
- Network of colleagues and facilitated alumni community for one year following the course.
- Priority access for members of your team to attend the Stanford Medicine WellMD & WellPhD Physician Well-being Director Course.
- If you are accepted to the program, you will be eligible to book your stay at the Ritz Carlton, Half Moon Bay at the discounted course rate of $409/night. You may add additional nights before and after the course at the same discounted rate.